Mexico continues to be a popular venue for weddings, gastronomical receptions and the perfect honeymoon setting. Could it be the perfect weather? The crystal blue seas? Perhaps the virgin white sandy beaches? The romance, the magic and the International location all contribute to this amazing venue. Picture this: a wedding in Mexico, by the ocean, with a beachfront reception!
- A current passport with tourist card or visa (make copies of each).
- Certified copies of your birth certificate.
- An application stating whether that you wish to marry (available at the Civil Registers Office).
- If divorced in Mexico, a certificated decree from the Mexican Consular Office.
- A blood test done in Mexico (the CRO will recommend a doctor/clinic)
- There is a fee (as high as $60 in some resorts)
- Certain Mexican states also require a
- Four legally qualified witnesses (over 18) who must be present.
- Foreigners wishing to marry Mexican citizens must obtain authorization from the National Institute of Migration (Instituto Nacional de Migracion).
This will take a bit longer and there will be more paper work to process.
- If you would like to get married in a church in Mexico, this can be arranged, although additional planning and fees will be required.
- Civil marriages are performed at the "Oficina del Registro Civil" (Civil Registers Office) for a fee (from $100 to $250 in resort areas).
- Divorced people cannot marry in Mexico until one year after their finalized divorce (this may vary in different areas and proof of divorce
Note: The ceremony is legal and recognized in the U.S. and Canada - the civil ceremony, that is, not the church ceremony, so you may need to get married twice, if you also want a church wedding.
For up to date requirements and changes in procedures and laws to marry in Mexico, we invite you to visit the official government website.
If you plan to get married in Mexico and seek the services of a wedding planner to arrange for all the necessary forms and paperwork, schedule your X-rays and blood test with local clinics, and make any arrangements with local hotels, churches and other venues for your marriage, you will find a wedding professional in nearly all resort and tourist cities in Mexico to help you realize your perfect wedding.